June 24, 2013

Expectations


For those who have never read “Melinda Makes Herself,” which I’m assuming to be quite a few people, let me explain that this is more of a writing experiment for me than anything. You’ll find opinion columns, journal-like entries, photo essays, literary critiques, sports play-by-play and just about any other stylistic deviation from straight news reporting you can find.

You’ll also find that music becomes a very important driver of what I write. During my freshman year at Butler, there was a web journal that was very popular among my friends. One of my favorite features about the platform was that you could indicate what you were listening to while you were writing. It was an interesting way to frame each entry. I won’t be adding that sort of tag in these posts, but you will find plenty of lyrics and references included.

My new workshop
For those hoping this site will be a chronicle of our adventures in Antwerp, you’ll probably only be half satisfied. While I’m sure there will be plenty of entries about our life in Europe, it will not be a blow-by-blow account of where we are going or what we are doing; this blog is more for exploring the ideas that challenge me and inspire me.  “Make Yourself” is about continuing growth, both personally and professionally, and I hope new readers enjoy the journey, too.

No comments: