June 11, 2008

Naming a Blog

Naming a blog is difficult. I was looking for something that says passionate and quirky, modern and in-tune with pop culture, fast paced and young. But mostly, I wanted it to say brilliant. Okay, I'll settle for clever.
My first working title was "1000 Julys," after an unreleased song on Third Eye Blind's sophomore album, "Blue." To me, the power chord ode to spandex-and-hairspray rock spoke of passion, an exciting new time and youthful discovery. The "How we living?/Young American," lyric summarized my current state in a perfect nutshell.
One problem, though. The, um, sexual nature of Third Eye Blind's music would most definitely mislead readers and future employers. Not the message I want to send, and not something you think about at age 11 when you pick a favorite band.
But I felt going on the lyrical route was the right way to go. Being of the 1990's and early-2000's alt-rock/pop loving scene, great hooks and memorable lyrics are not difficult to come by. Although, if I see one more blog named after a Dave Matthews Band song, I may give up all hope for my generation. Don't get me wrong, I love Dave, but how many Billies, Nancies, Ants and Spoons are needed in cyberspace? Sorry, that was a tangent.
Going through my CD collection provided some ideas. "I'd Do Anything" (Simple Plan) sounds too desperate, "Thoughts on God" (Dishwalla) is too philosophical, and who knows what a "Yellow Ledbetter" (Pearl Jam) is?
"Sympathy" (Goo Goo Dolls) speaks of emotional neediness, "Polyamerous" (Breaking Benjamin) comes with the same issues as Third Eye Blind, and "Inside Out" (Eve 6) sounds like a whole bunch of confusion.
My thoughts kept drifting back to 3EB, who have bailed me out on many occasions. I once wrote a paper on the virtues of "Semi-Charmed Life" for a high school English class. I praised the instrumentation, the pop sensibility and the irrepressibly catchy melody. Tell me you don't smile when you hear the opening "do do do"s. I cheered the clever lyrics and their underlying anti-drug message. I got an A on that paper. I could have written a tome on the handsome lead singer, Stephan Jenkins, and his piercing blue eyes and sly delivery, but I refrained (as I will now).
And then it hit me -- I needed another front man with a unique handsomeness and deliciously clever lyrics. Brandon Boyd, of Incubus, became my muse. Sorry, Stephan. The wiry front man reminds me of some of my favorite sporting attributes (not necessarily personal characteristics).
The raw yet controlled aggression of a middle linebacker.
The fluidity of a European-trained hockey player.
The cockiness and innovation of a point guard.
The youthful energy of pre-draft workouts.
"Make Yourself" is not only the name of a critically and commercially successful album, but a title-track anthem of self-reliance and self-knowledge. The young American's dream of making something of yourself on your own merits. As part of a generation that has been hand fed through much of our young lives, the idea of self-sufficiency is daunting yet welcome.
I like how "Make Yourself" speaks to the focus of this blog: the various ways a young woman tries to make something of herself. It's a rather wide topic, from job searching to personal discovery to pet peeves.
With this entry, I invite you to join me on my journey of making myself. And if you happen to have the CD or MP3s available, I encourage you to pop in the wonderful post-coming-of-age album and look at the lyrics. It's enjoyable.
So here we go, World, watch me make myself.

2 comments:

LicensedtoPill said...

yay! a new blog! I just popped in my Incubus CD just for you :-), and I added you to my homepage just about Brandon Crone's blog.

Breanna said...

Mel! I just started a "making myself" blog of sorts too! Look at us! If you're interested, http://www.breanna-wilson.blogspot.com