June 13, 2008

A Few Thoughts on the NBA

Normally, a title like that would automatically go from my Inbox to the Trash, but bear with me for a moment.
I generally don't like the NBA. I like college basketball better, and I gave up on the pros after Ray Allen was traded to Seattle from Milwaukee for a battered, uninspired Gary Payton.
But after watching Game 4 of the super-over-hyped NBA Finals tonight, I made some surprising observations. Let me share ...
  • Ray Allen may be to Milwaukee what Kevin Garnett is to Minnesota. Allen did bounce around the league more than Garnett, but he made an impact on Milwaukee's community during his time there. He even miraculously delivered the Bucks to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2001 with the cloudy (allegedly) post play of Glenn Robinson at his disposal (I'm not sure if I'm alleging Robinson's recreational used drugs or that he actually played in the post). Both are fighting for their first title and causing mass loyalty issues back in the Midwest. Are you a fan of the team or the player? Can a Bucks fan or Timberwolves fan root for the Celtics? Boston Bruin fans cheered passionately for Ray Bourque when he won the Stanley Cup with the Avalanche. Does that kind of loyalty translate to other sports?
  • No one mentions (that I've heard) that Allen and every one's favorite extraterrestrial point guard, Sam Cassell, were part of Milwaukee's 'Big Three' with Robinson. Although Cassell isn't in the Celtics' Big Three, the thought of not mentioning the connection seems odd to me.
  • The post-game press conference after the Celtics huge comeback was some of the most entertaining live television I've seen in a while. I believe, in the era of spying, steroids and gambling, many players and coaches understand the way to regain the trust of the fan base is to be completely honest with the fan base. Doc Rivers was thoughtful but sincere when describing his team's amazing turnaround, including giving the real story behind going to the strategy of using four guards with Garnett. Kobe Bryant, admittedly one of my least favorite players, was mature about his team's poor second-half performance. He cracked jokes, he admitted their weaknesses and he didn't throw his team under the bus. And he did all of this while still sounding reasonably devastated at being down 3-1 in the series. Good television -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWfCLiPcRxU.

As much as I hate to admit it, Game 4 lived up to the extreme hype surrounding the "historic" series. Despite his use of the word "ginormous" during a toss, Stuart Scott did a great job navigating the post-game show (I missed half-time).

Although I doubt this series alone will return my interest in professional basketball, I will admit to being excited for Sunday's Game 5. I'll liken my relationship with the NBA to my relationship with vegetables; generally, I'll have nothing to do with them, but if it is done the right way, sign me up. Now, the question is, are the Celtics "spinach green," or is spinach "Celtics green?"

As a follow up to the last entry, I realized that my first choice for a Dave Matthews inspired blog title would also be inappropriate. It would be from the song "Granny," and I am neither old nor wise (nor matriarchal).

No comments: